May 2018

May 2018

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

General Updates

At her review mid August, it was determined mom would be dropped from hospice on August 31. Within days, however, her conditioned changed. Mom began favoring mushy food, pocketing food in her cheeks, and drooling. Hospice quickly changed their diagnosis of "improvement" to "clear decline." They are now keeping mom on and will re-evaluate in two months.

Last week mom was put on a mechanically-softened diet. This morning I was told mom's sleep apnea has become acute. She now often stops breathing for a full minute. This is no way to live and a horrible way to die. I hate this disease.

+++++++++++++++

Over the weekend, I lined and stocked several of the new kitchen cabinets. I really enjoyed finally working in the new space. And I was able to get a sense of how nice it'll be to work in a kitchen with better traffic flow and more cabinets and counter space.

But now I've fallen into a funk. There's nothing more I can do until the electrician comes, which won't be until next week at the earliest.

We're currently in our ninth week of not having a proper kitchen. I'm tired of cooking with only a hotplate and crock pot, and washing dishes in a bathroom sink. And I'm weary of climbing the stairs to and from the basement several times a day.

I know, in the end, it'll be worth all the inconveniences. I'm just extremely eager to finally see the end.

1 comment:

Rita said...

So sorry about your mom. You've been dealing with all of this for soooo long. But at least they changed her status to where it should be. If I was there I'd give you a big hug--and we could wash dishes in the bathroom. ;) Yes, that has to be getting really old--but at least you do know it will finally be done with in the near future and there is going to be a really good outcome. Hang in there, lady!! :)