May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Kitchen Update

Last week was all about the electric. They had to run three new circuits, cutting into the garage ceiling and going through basement rafters. Much bigger job than originally anticipated. . .not sure why. But the new ovens require more power and we added nine 6" can lights and a couple of under cabinet lights, so makes sense electric would not be a small task. Plus they had to move and add wall outlets to accommodate the banquette.

Oh, and the cabinets were prematurely delivered last week. They're now sitting all over the dining, family, and sun rooms. If I'd been home, that wouldn't have happened. Price we paid for leaving town. But, as hubby keeps reminding me, better early than late!

This week is mostly about drywall, a time-consuming wait-for-mud-to-dry job. However, they did set up my laundry room on Tuesday, so no more trips to the laundromat, which honestly wasn't that bad. The other goal for the week is to paint the ceiling.

As of yesterday, I'm still being told cabinets will be installed early next week. If that sticks, it's also possible a template can be created for the granite late next week. However, that can't happen until I have a cooktop.

The week before we left, the cooktop was delivered with a severely cracked corner. The replacement is due Saturday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the second one will be good. If not, I may have to look for a different cooktop, something I can get locally. It's especially annoying because I could have dealt with the cooktop months ago. But I just didn't want yet another appliance sitting in my basement waiting for the remodel.

I told the kitchen designer yesterday I always wanted a new kitchen no later than my 62 birthday. Since that's now only 2.5 months away, I'm starting to wonder if we'll make that deadline. But, if not by then, I at least want to be able to cook a turkey for Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Rita said...

I am late getting to emails and blogs so I hope the new cooktop came in perfect condition today. When it comes to remodeling--better early than late, yes. I hope they get to the cabinets now this week. Any pictures of the chaos? ;)