May 2018

May 2018

Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Simplified

I'm simplifying Thanksgiving this year.  We're having turkey breast, dressing with butternut squash and leeks, cranberry conserve, store-bought dinner rolls, French string beans, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream.  I've eliminated pumpkin soup, creamed corn, and mashed potatoes.  And I've replaced a whole turkey with an 8-pound turkey breast, which will be much easier to handle and quicker to cook.

I started this year determined to not take on more than I could easily handle.  That turned out to be a good goal, because things out of my control have tested my sanity and patience all year long!

But I am in control of our Thanksgiving meal and see no reason to overdo it.  This year, it just will be my daughter's family of four, which includes a six-year-old and two-year-old, and hubby and me.  My daughter's on a special diet and her husband's a picky eater. Neither of them are big eaters.  And the boys will only be interested in the dinner rolls and pie.

While this year's menu will be smaller, however, I have no doubt the food will be good and no one will leave hungry.  Best of all, cleanup will be a snap!


No comments: