May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Movie Review

Today I did one of my favorite things, going to a movie theatre and watching a chick flick all by myself.  I saw the latest Meryl Streep movie, Hope Springs.  If you're a female and over 50, I believe you'll like it as much as I did.

It's simply too rare to find a serious book or film about married couples in their 50s and 60s that isn't centered around their adult children and grandchildren.  Hope Springs is about an older married couple and is not a comedy.  It's about real concerns many couples have after 30+ years of marriage.

As one would expect from a Streep movie, the acting is superb.  And the performances of Tommy Lee Jones and Steve Carell are just as good as Streep's.  Jones and Streep are the married couple and I actually found myself diverting my eyes at times, feeling as if I had no business observing their struggle.

Once, again, I ask, is there any role Streep cannot master?  She's amazing and I hope she continues making films for many more years.


No comments: