May 2018

May 2018

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Stuck on "The Creek"

A few weeks ago I started working my way through all the Dawson's Creek episodes.  I never watched the show during it's original broadcasts (1998-2003), but obviously a lot of people loved the show because it ran for six seasons.  Because it's all about teen angst, I understand why the show, at the time, appealed to the younger generation.  Even though some of the acting is the worst I've ever seen.

The poorest performances are by John Wesley Shipp who plays Dawson's dad.  His acting is so bad that, at times, it's laughable. And, to make matters worse, Shipp's character doesn't get a job until the end of season two.  I mean, a guy can only be a "Mr. Mom" for so long, and certainly not after your only child is in high school!

There is, however, some talent among the Dawson's Creek cast.  From the first episode, it's clear Michelle Williams can act and, with more time and maturity, will become a better-than-average actor, which she has.  And, lucky for Williams, another talented actor, Mary Beth Peil, plays her grandmother.  The interactions between Williams and Peil are some of Dawson's Creek's best scenes.

But, no matter how bad the acting or silly the story lines, I just can't seem to stop watching.  As of this afternoon, I'm half way through season three.  At this rate, I'll easily be watching the last episode by the end of the month.  If anyone can recommend a series for July, please do.

No comments: