May 2018

May 2018

Friday, June 22, 2012

An American Tradition

Ballwin's local bakery, The Party Pastry Shop.

This morning, after a 12-hour fast, I had blood drawn for my yearly physical scheduled for next week.  Afterwards, I walked across the parking lot to the local bakery, The Party Pastry Shop.  I bought five fresh danish for a little over $6.00.  What a bargain!  A comparable purchase at my favorite lunch spot, Saint Louis Bread Company, would be closer to $12.00.

I don't know how long The Party Pastry Shop has been in business, but it's well over 30 years.  In all that time, they've never done any remodeling or updating, which is how they've been able to keep their prices so low.  Today I realized that even their cash register appears to be the original.

I'm glad The Party Pastry Shop has survived the infiltration of chain coffee shops and grocery store bakeries.  Throughout the city's growth, it has remained the classic American bakery shop where you can still get a coffee and danish or donut for less than $2.00.  It warms my heart.


No comments: