May 2018

May 2018

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Why Wait?

I'm so frustrated about mom's situation that, yesterday, I joined the Message Boards on Alz.org, the Alzheimer's Association website.  I needed to know I'm not the only one tired of how long this disease can drag on.  Everyday, mom is eating and talking more and more.  Once again, she's a far cry from the person we were told, six weeks ago, had only days to live.  In her current state, I believe mom could last another year or more.

But what frustrates me the most, at this point, is dad refusing to leave town as long as mom's alive. He's always wanted to take a cruise and still talks about doing just that after mom passes.  But, obviously, the longer mom holds on, the greater the odds dad will never take that trip.  He'll be 82 in September and has an inoperable artery that's 50 percent blocked.  Dad's clearly taking a big gamble putting off his dream trip until mom's gone.

All their married life, dad passed on adventures and opportunities because of mom's fears and paranoias.  In three weeks, my brother and sister-in-law are leaving for a nine-day cruise of the Baltic capitals.  And, once again, dad's taking a pass because of mom.

No comments: