May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Audio/Visual Woes

A few months ago, I started hearing a buzz coming through our television.  I thought our Bose system was failing, but decided to "chat" with Charter to get their take on the situation.  They had no doubt our cable box needed to be replaced and scheduled a service call.

After the new box was installed, the buzz was gone.  But then I started having trouble with the image on several channels.  The images were tiling, or scrambled, and impossible to watch.  I had another "chat" with Charter and a second service call was scheduled, but only after I had to "monitor" the situation until a system-wide upgrade was completed.

When a technician finally came out a second time, he discovered the cable to the box was bent.  I then remembered that, at the first visit, the technician "fixed" the connection by removing it from the serge protector.  At the time, I was told the cable should not go through the serge protector because it would prevent routine updates.  The second technician agreed and just replaced the bent cable and all was good.  That is until last week when I started hearing a hum.

So, earlier this week, I had another "chat" with Charter and a third service call was scheduled. The technician was here yesterday afternoon and eliminated the hum by reconfiguring our connection, fixing a grounding problem.  And all was fine, again, until I tried to use Roku last night.

Now the only audio I get is television.  I get the image from the VCR or Roku, but all I hear is the last television channel I was watching.  You guessed it. . .had another "chat" with Charter last night and a service call is set for this afternoon.

I am frustrated to the extreme, but not necessarily with Charter.  They are fixing every problem as it presents itself.  They're just not anticipating possible problems as a result of their fixes, but I've always found that true of any hi-tech trouble-shooter.  I guess it's just a curse of the hi-tech world we live in.

But I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever have another stress-free evening just chillin' with hubby in front of the television.  Oh, how I long for the good old days.



No comments: