May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Looking Forward to Spring

With the warm temperatures and my daffodils now nearly 10 inches above ground, I'm beginning to think spring is just days away.  Truth is, however, we still have the long month of March to get through.  As someone who enjoys their home and has several indoor hobbies, I'm thrilled there's still an entire month before yard and garden work begins.  But, for someone like my dad, April is frustratingly far away.

Winter is rough for people who suffer with cabin fever.  But it's especially bad for dad because he doesn't read, watches little television, and has no indoor hobbies.  This winter has been dad's hardest so far because he's also depressed over mom's current condition.

Mom's floor at the nursing home has been under quarantine for nearly a week.  They have several cases of flu, pneumonia, and upper respiratory infection.  Mom was hit with the flu last Tuesday. Since then, she hasn't been eating and sleeps most of the day.  To make matters worse, last Wednesday night, mom had a TIA (transient ischemic attack).  After talking to the floor nurse this morning, I'm beginning to think mom may be near the end.

I'm still giddy about another month of indoor activity.  But, this year, I'm also looking forward to spring, especially if, by then, mom's in a better place.

No comments: