May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Academy Awards

It's 4:30 P.M. and I'm already positioned on the couch for a long night of Oscar fun.  I've only seen three of the nine Best Picture nominees, but that doesn't matter.  I'll catch up with the others later. Actually, I almost saw four, but just couldn't get through The Tree of Life.  I'm a Brad Pitt fan, but, honestly, The Tree of Life is one weird movie!

I did see the other Brad Pitt Best Picture nominee, Moneyball, which, in my opinion, is a solid contender.  The other two movies I saw, The Help and Midnight In Paris, are good but not great.

But because I've see so few of the nominees, I'm not pulling for any one film.  But I do hope The Artist doesn't win.  If it does, I feel it will be mainly because it's a gimmicky black-and-white silent film.  I really think it should be in its own category if nominated at all.

Besides The Artist not winning Best Picture, the only other thing I'd really like to see is Melissa McCarthy win Actress In a Best Supporting Role.  She did a great job in The Bridesmaids and it's time she got some recognition.  She was one of the best things about the television series Gilmore Girls.

Whomever or whatever wins, it should be an entertaining night especially with Billy Crystal as host again.  Time to pop the popcorn!

No comments: