May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hard-Boiled Eggs

There's nothing simple about boiling an egg.  After hours of watching shows about food preparation, and doing a lot of online research, I've found what seems like hundreds of different methods.  The one consistent belief about hard-boiled eggs, however, is a yoke with a green outer cover is overcooked.  And that means I'd been overcooking eggs for years.

But now, thanks to Ina Garten, I can hard boil an egg to perfection every time.  Here's her recipe:

Not mine, but look the same^^
1. Place eggs in water and bring to a rapid boil.
2. Turn burner off and let eggs cook five minutes.
3. Remove pot from stove and drain water.
4. Let cool for two minutes and peal.

And here's a tip, eggs are much easier to peal if slightly warm.  So I now store them pealed, which also makes them quicker to eat in the morning.

I recently read the perfect healthy breakfast is a small bowl of oatmeal and an egg.  But, in addition to the combo's health benefits, I've found it also keeps me feeling full longer.  So, with Garten's recipe and the approval of the American Heart Association, I'm now enjoying a daily dose of the perfectly hard-boiled "incredible edible egg."

No comments: