May 2018

May 2018

Friday, January 27, 2012

Lucky Grandma

It's really too bad Jonah's parents don't get to enjoy the little boy I watch three days a week. When he's with his brother, Jonah turns a little hyper, working hard to hold his own.  In the 30-45 minutes I have both boys before and after school, Jonah finds it hard to concentrate on any one activity. He's too busy making sure Elliott isn't playing with any of his toys.  Or he's frustrated that he can't do what his brother's doing, such as playing on the computer.

But when Jonah and I are alone, I get to see how truly creative and bright he is.  And he's usually receptive to anything I ask him to do.  I can't remember the last time, if ever, I had trouble putting him down for a nap.  On weekends, however, I hear naps are always a fight.  I suspect it has a lot to do with Jonah seeing his brother not napping.

I know Mike and Emily aren't the first parents spending more time refereeing instead of enjoying their children's individuality.  It's what happens when you have more than one child.  In fact, I'm now sure I must have missed somethings about my second baby.  But I did have the advantage of being a full time homemaker, which gave me more time with my children than Emily gets.

And now I have the advantage of getting large blocks of one-on-one time, every week, with each of my grandsons.  I'm a lucky grandma.

2 comments:

Martine said...

I am a psychology student and love to read about your observations about your grand kids, I find all relationships very interesting. I am sure that you have the wisdom, patience and appreciation that grand kids need that sometimes busy parents don't have the time to give.
My grandma lives in Oregon and I only get to hear from her twice a week. She phones from a Tracfone SVC phone ($7/month for service)so she can afford to phone and stay in touch regularly.
I miss having a grandma, they make you feel as if you are the most special person in the world and they spoil you and accept you for who you are. I can even phone my gran when I'm in trouble with my mom and she'll make me feel better as if no problem is too big to solve.

GrandmaG said...

Thank you so much for your comment, Martine. My greatest wish is that I will still have a close relationship with my grandsons when they become adults. Your closeness to your grandma gives me hope.