May 2018

May 2018

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

With a Little Knowledge. . .

I know my husband and family will agree that I've become a much better cook in the last couple of years.  I owe it all to FoodNetwork.

When I first started watching, I duplicated recipes exactly.  But over the last 6-9 months, I've begun giving recipes my own twist, or using what I've learned to come up with something unique.  One of my favorite creations is an individual Mexican chicken casserole.  I came up with this recipe while desperately looking for a new way to serve the bone-in skin-on chicken breast I cook at least once a week.


Dianne's Individual Mexican Chicken Casserole

Shred roasted chicken breast;
Toss with salsa verde and a Mexican shredded cheese blend;
Bake in a medium-sized ramekin prepared with non-stick spray.


The biggest benefit of not always needing a recipe is being able to create something from whatever's in the cupboard and refrigerator.  For example, today I have a ripe avocado and a bunch of cilantro that needs to be used soon.  Since I just bought some ground beef, I plan to toss it with a homemade taco seasoning mix.  I'll then form patties and cook them on the stove-top grill since it's too hot outside.  And, to eliminate bread calories, I'll place the burgers on a large slice of beef tomato and top with salsa, avocado, and cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.  I think I'll call it Dianne's Taco Burgers.  For a side dish, I'll toss spring greens with the Trader Joe's cilantro dressing I just bought based on Emily's recommendation.

Hmmmm. . .seems to be a Mexican theme here.  Nevertheless, it's amazing where a little knowledge can take you.  Bon appétit!


No comments: