May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sign of Fall

Last spring I decided to grow some vegetables.  It was more of an experiment and I didn't expect much.  The cauliflower failed and something ate the cucumber plant.  I did get a few strawberries and bell peppers.  But the peppers were green when the tags on the plants said red.

Grandma's Pumpkin Patch
My two cocktail tomato plants have produced the most fruit .  Both plants are huge and completely out of control.  I harvested fruit daily through most of July and then nothing.  But now there are hundreds of new blossoms, so it looks like I'll have a late summer crop also.

Hello Jack-Be-Little!
Of all the planting I did, however, the only thing I really wanted to succeed were my pumpkin seeds.  So I'm happy to report that I now have a small pumpkin patch in my backyard!

Currently I have three nearly full-grown pumpkins and the start of several more.  So there will be plenty of fruit for Elliott and Jonah to pick.  But, best of all, pumpkins are a sure sign that fall is on the way.

No comments: