May 2018

May 2018

Friday, July 15, 2011

Thank You J. K. Rowling

Today is the release of the last Harry Potter movie.  I hope to see it sometime this weekend.  When I do, I'll be sure to bring a packet of tissues.  I know from the book that the last installment will be extremely emotional.  It'll probably be better if I don't wear eye make-up.

No one, including J. K. Rowling, could have predicted the phenomenal success of the "boy who lived."  Of course, that statement from the series now has greater meaning.  Simply based on five-year-old Elliott's enjoyment of all things Harry Potter, the boy wizard will live forever.

For years, there's been no doubt that J. K. Rowling is a gifted storyteller and writer.  But I am now seeing her as a brilliant business woman also.  She recently announced the October launch of Pottermore.com.  (You can submit your email address at the site now to stay updated.)  A recent description in Entertainment Weekly promises deeper character development, unpublished pages, and background stories.  As if that wasn't enough to drive traffic, Pottermore.com will be the only place to purchase the books in digital form.  Once again, thank you J. K. Rowling.  My Kindle is shaking in anticipation.

1 comment:

Blinkdawg said...

"For years, there's been no doubt that J. K. Rowling is a gifted storyteller and writer.  But I am now seeing her as a brilliant business woman also."

I'd nominate her for an honorary distinguished "dungeon master" award as well.