May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Taking Full Advantage of Technology

The bathroom project has been going on for two weeks.  By now we should have been within a few days of completion.  But late morning yesterday, everything came to a screeching halt.

After the tile man and general contractor left, I decided to take a look before the plumber and mirror man arrived.  I'm glad I did.  First I discovered the wrong counter top had been installed.  It's supposed to be a matte finish, but we got the glossy version.  And then I noticed the tile work on the wall with all the plumbing was entirely unacceptable.

Our designer is off on Fridays, so I ended up communicating with one of the owners.  After stumbling through an explanation of what was wrong with the tile, it occurred to me I could take a picture with my iPhone and send it to him.  I had never sent a photo with my phone before, and rarely use text messaging.  But I quickly figured it out and the photo expedited everything.  No one needed to come to the house to see the problem.  The plumber was quickly cancelled; the counter top was reordered; and the tile man was added to next week's schedule.

Although I'm more tech-savvy than most of my friends, I still have a lot to learn and don't take full advantage of all my tech tools.  Yesterday was a real eye-opener.  I'm now aware of a whole new way of doing business and I'm not afraid to use it.

No comments: