May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Level Playing Field

This morning I went through my box of swim wear, preparing for our upcoming trips to the beach.  Fortunately, everything from last year fits.  But I still got rid of a couple of items I now find inappropriate for my age.

Years ago, I discovered swim shorts that I wear right over my swimsuit.  They fit like regular shorts but dry quickly.  With swim shorts, I am much more comfortable at the pool or on the beach. I don't have to look at my upper-leg cellulite or worry that part of my rear is hanging out. I always found it extremely unfair that men, essentially, wear shorts as swim wear, yet women are expected to expose much more than they ever would at any other time. Women's swim shorts level the playing field.

Swim shorts come in different inseam lengths.  Today I got rid of my shorter pairs, keeping only the ones that stop just above the knees.  And I now also have swim crop pants, which I found this year at L.L.Bean online.  Since I'm only 5'4", crop pants hit me slightly below mid-calf.  So, unless I develop cellulite on my ankles, I'm now covered over the long haul.

No comments: