May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Baby Gate

I suspect Emily didn't understand my frustration when I was watching Jonah.  I also think she thought it was gruel that Jonah and I mostly hung out in the basement playroom. Well, after a month of chasing perpetual-motion Jonah without Mike's help during the week, Emily now understands.

A few days into summer break, Emily's daily phone calls began to be primarily about how Jonah was driving her crazy.  He never sits still plus he's a climber.  Then the two naps a day ended, making things much worse.  One two-hour nap means an extremely long day of chasing, entertaining, and disciplining a toddler.

I stopped by the Jorgensens' house earlier this week and immediately saw why Emily was losing her mind.  When Jonah wasn't trying to climb the stairs, he was running from room to room.  The only way to watch him was to join the chase.

Today Emily finally cried "uncle" and installed two baby gates.  Now Jonah can be corralled into the half of the first floor that includes the music and play rooms.  I suspect the area will become a version of grandma's playroom and Jonah will actually start playing with his toys.  He may even learn to play with his big brother. And he'll still be able to run and climb when they play in the backyard at least once a day.  I think summer just got better for Emily, and the boys.

No comments: