May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Progress On Two Fronts

I'd been so fixated on the plants that aren't growing that I didn't notice the ones that are.  But late afternoon yesterday, while I was fertilizing, I took a good look.  My Hosta has tripled it's original size and the Boston ferns are showing new growth.  The tomato and cauliflower plants are twice as big.  And the red pepper and strawberry plants have grown at least fifty percent. It's so encouraging to see progress especially with our weather challenges.

We've had weeks of pouring rain. Then Tuesday evening there was a frost warning.  Jim rolled the container gardens into the garage and covered the basil plants with buckets.  In the end, the frost never happened, and the cold temperatures didn't do any harm.  Even the plants that haven't grown much above ground seem to be surviving.

But the best progress of all is Elliott's growing interest in gardening.  He's the one that gave me the frost warning with a call Tuesday evening that began, "Grandma, we have an emergency!"  It was one of those moments a grandma won't soon forget.


*16 Grandma Days until End of School Year*

No comments: