May 2018

May 2018

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'm Not Lazy

Since this is the last full week of Grandma Daycare before summer break, I decided not to clean the house last weekend.  Instead, I'll tackle it this weekend and next week when there's a chance of the house staying clean longer.  However, the untidiness is starting to bother me.  Truth is, I feel the most content when my house is clean and free of clutter.  It's just who I am.

Yet I remember my mom saying I would never be a good homemaker because I didn't have enough energy.  Her belief was based solely on the fact that I needed 8-10 hours of sleep a day.  Back then, mom only needed five hours, so she decided there must be something wrong with me.  So strong was her belief, that my blood was tested several times.  When the results always showed no iron deficiency or disease, mom decided I was just lazy.

Looking back, that whole episode should have been a red flag to mom's peculiar way of thinking.  Or, at minimum, her misunderstanding of the word lazy.  I needed more sleep than her, but the side of the bedroom I shared with my sister was usually clean and tidy.  I was also a good student, decent softball player, and worked part-time.  Those traits are not indicative of a lazy person.

I still need 8-10 hours of sleep a day, but I now know I'm a good homemaker.  In fact, I take pride in my ability to keep the house clean, to stay on top of the laundry, and to manage everything associated with serving daily meals.  All the while also keeping the company books, providing full-time daycare, and managing our finances, healthcare, and travel.  I am not a lazy person.  I simply need the recommended 8-10 hours of sleep a day to function at full capacity.


*2 Grandma Days until End of School Year*

No comments: