May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Counting Calories

Today I decided it's time to get serious about losing eight pounds by Memorial Day. That means I need to start counting calories.  After years of testing a variety of weight-loss methods, counting calories has been the only thing that works for me.

Four years ago, with the help of MyFoodDiary.com, I lost 25 pounds that I had been carrying for a long time.  Then two summers ago, we traveled to Disney World, Mexico, and South Korea during a three-month period.  I gained five pounds and never lost it.  Then over the last several months, I added three more pounds. Clearly I'm on a "slippery slope!"

In general, I eat healthy.  Since losing the 25 pounds, my cholesterol levels and blood pressure have been ideal.  And I don't think that's due to the weight loss.  I honestly think it's due to the fact that I eat more fruits and vegetables now.

I also continue to practice portion control at every meal.  So how did I gain eight pounds? Eating too many sweets!  And I don't mean desserts.  In fact, I'm good about not having dessert too often.  And, when I do, I keep my portions small, usually giving half to Jim.  No, the biggest problem for me is eating sweets, especially cookies and chocolate, when I'm stressed.  So here's my plan.

First, no more bringing candy into the house.  Second, prepare for stressful eating with easy to grab healthier snacks such as yogurt, pre-popped popcorn, pre-cut vegetables, and fruit. Log all meals and snacks on MyFoodDiary.com.

Put into practice, all of the above should do the trick.  Let the battle begin!


*9 Grandma Days until Spring Break!*

No comments: