May 2018

May 2018

Monday, February 7, 2011

FoodNetwork -- An Education In Cooking

I started watching the FoodNetwork two years ago.  In the beginning, I was addicted.  I just couldn't get enough.  It was such an education in cooking.  I had no idea how ignorant I was on the subject.

Growing up, mom didn't share her kitchen.  Unfortunately, I continued that practice with my own children.  For mom cooking was a chore.  And that's how I felt about it most of my life. I did take Home Economics in high school, however, and remember liking it.  The first semester was cooking; the second was sewing.  But the cooking class was extremely basic and mostly about baking.

The FoodNetwork has changed how I think and feel about food.  I now love to cook.  (Of course it helps that I have a husband who will eat anything!)  I also have a greater appreciation for good food.  That's because I have a better understanding of what it takes to create a memorable meal.

I got to thinking about all of this as I made a big pot of Mexican Chicken Soup today, using my homemade chicken stock.  I've lost count of how many times I've made this dish.  It's an Ina Garten recipe, so I don't know how authentic it is.  Nevertheless, it reminds Jim and me of our yearly trips to the Riviera Maya.  Food can be that powerful. I'm glad I now enjoy the process :-)


(Day 14 of 30-Day Shred:  Actually starting to look forward to my 30 minutes with Jillian everyday.)

No comments: