May 2018

May 2018

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Taking Care of Seniors

A few months ago, a lawyer finalized all of dad's legal papers such as his will and Financial and Healthcare Durable Power of Attorney documents.  Dad left the office with the originals in a large envelope and copies in a three-ring binder, which he immediately gave to me. After realizing what I had, I put the originals in our safe.  I then returned the binder to dad, explaining that it contained copies should he ever want to review them.

Dad called today, insisting he had originals in a three-ring binder.  So I explained, again, exactly what he had and reassured him that I had the originals.  I've lost track of how many times I've explained this.  Between managing mom's finances and nursing home care and dealing with dad regarding legal and healthcare matters, I often just want to scream!

However, it also has me wondering who will take care of me and Jim when the time comes. It appears it won't be our children.  Daniel lives in South Korea.  And Emily has said she will not be able to handle it.  So for now I can only continue praying that I'll have my wits about me until the end.

No comments: