May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Happy Happy Day :-)

The property to our left has been nothing but a problem since we moved in 20+ years ago. The last resident needed threats from the city of Ballwin every summer before they would mow their weeds.  Another "thorn in my side" was how they stored their garden tools.  They hung them outside their garage on the wall facing our back patio.  They also installed, without a permit, a huge shed near their garage, which landed three feet on our property.

Then approximately six months ago we discovered the property was under foreclosure. Of course the former owners didn't leave without a fight.  We understand they used every possible tactic to delay eviction for half a year.  Even in the end they continued to stall, forcing the bank to dump the last of their belongings on the curb.

After feeling elated about getting rid of a problem, I feared what would come next.  At this point the house was in such bad shape I would have been extremely skeptical of anyone who had plans to rehab.  Then we got the best news.  Benton Builders had bought the property and would build two luxury homes in 2011.

Now I understand any new neighbor could be a problem also.  But I'm hopeful that anyone who can afford a $400,000+ home in this economy will be better than what we've dealt with for the past 20+ years.

No matter, today I celebrated with a glass of wine in the middle of the afternoon.  I gleefully sat in my sun room watching as the eyesore next door fell to the ground.  Happy, happy day!

No comments: