May 2018

May 2018

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Meralgia Paraesthetica

My self diagnosis was confirmed at today's physical. The outer pain I suffer periodically is meralgia paraesthetica. Nothing much one can do about it except take Ibuprofen and wait it out.

During an episode, the toughest part for me is taking stairs and, to a lesser degree, walking. That's because putting weight on my left leg causes the pain to intensify. But luckily I'm still able to lift weights and do calisthenics. I just tend to hobble out of the gym afterward.

My last flare-up lasted nearly two months, December and most of January. I'm intrigued that it subsided while I was sick for nearly two weeks and couldn't workout. Did the rest help? Or was that just a coincidence?

It's tempting to blame this new pain on an aging body, but truth is it can happen to anyone no matter their age. For me, however, it's especially annoying since I do have age-related aches and pains also. So it's just another thing that can flare-up without any warning.

But the good news is it's not life-threatening and there's no need for invasive treatment. That's a big relief!

2 comments:

Rita said...

That sucks! Just another thing to endure that won't kill you. I am very familiar with those kinds of delightful health issues--LOL!

Stephanie Faris said...

Pain seems to be an inevitable part of getting older, but it sucks when it becomes debilitating. Praying for as few flare-ups as possible for you!