May 2018

May 2018

Monday, July 18, 2016

Drum Roll Please!

Our granddaughter finally has a name – Reya (ray-a) Booni (boon-E) Gerken – and I love it!

Booni was the name of Reya's maternal great-grandmother, so speaks to her Korean heritage. I don't know where Reya came from, but I love its nod to current pop culture. For those who don't know, Rey was the strong woman character in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I find that perfect since Reya's dad was a big Star Wars fan as a child. He still has several large plastic tubs filled with, now vintage, Star Wars toys.

I'm just so thrilled about granddaughter's name. Some of the names considered where hard to pronounce, spell, and/or just plain bad. Thank you God!

The new family came home today. Reya still needs the Bilibed due to a little jaundice, but should come off it in a day or two. It's so great that there are now portable beds that can go home with baby. When I had babies, a jaundice infant could only be treated in the hospital, so it sometimes extended their stay.

Thankfully, so far Reya is fine with sleeping on her own, so doesn't mind the Bilibed. It's harder on her parents and grandparents because she can't be cuddled. She can only be off the bed a maximum of 30 minutes each feeding. She goes back to the hospital in the morning to have her numbers checked. I'm hoping she'll be released from the bed then because grandma needs much more cuddle time.

Mom is doing great, almost too well. She has to keep reminding herself she's recovering from surgery and needs to take it easy. But she's just so thrilled to no longer be suffering with the nausea she had her entire pregnancy.

Dad is behaving like an overprotective new father, something I never expected. He's done 98% of the diaper changes; is constantly concerned about Reya's temperature and comfort; and can't stand to be away from her, even for a quick shower. Frankly, he's driving us a bit crazy, but I much prefer this behavior over him leaving it all up to mom. And I'm sure he'll calm down eventually.

So it's all good and I'm very grateful :)

I decorated the new family's front doors
for the homecoming thanks to Dollar Tree.
Here's Reya ready for her first car ride.
And here she is chilling on the Bilibed
at home. See how stressed she is after
going through discharge and being strapped
in a car seat? *LOL* So far so good!



1 comment:

Rita said...

OMG!! She is just a little doll! I like the name, too. (Not that I remembered Rey was a Star Wars character because I am so bad with names--LOL!) That is so exciting that she is able to come home. Yes, in my day Reya would have had to stay longer in the hospital. I think they always do better at home whenever possible. :) So exciting!

And yes--nice that Daddy is being involved. Dagan was so much more involved and still is. They change diapers as a team when he's home or he does by himself. He plays with Ian, wipes him up after meals, changes clothes--whatever is needed. He's a hands on dad. That is the thing I think is so wonderful about the young couples these days. It's not like the 40s and 50s when there was such a division of labor like when I grew up. They do things together--and they raise their kids together in a different way than used to be. I hope this is a sign that the kids will be a little different, too. Make the world a better place, you know? Of course, I know not all children are being raised like that...but sounds like our grandkids are. Gives me hope for the world. :) :)