May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Busy Month

Last Monday our home-improvement team arrived to work on our family room and hall. The family room is in the center of the house and was on hold while bedrooms, bathrooms, and the kitchen were updated over the last 10 years.

After a full week of work, we now have updated baseboards and new crown molding. The linen closet at the end of the hall now has a six-panel door instead of a bi-fold, which I've hated for years. And the attic fan is now history. But the most noticeable updates are the formerly golden oak mantel and staircase. Both are now black, making for a better visual flow from our white and black kitchen that opens into the family room. Tomorrow the walls will be painted (trim and ceiling were done last Friday); and the mantel and staircase will get a first coat of polyurethane.

During all the chaos, I've been held hostage in the kitchen when not at the gym, or indulging in a lunch out, or visiting stores I haven't been in for a very long time. Needless to say, I'm "chomping at the bit" to thoroughly clean and put our home back in order.

Thankfully, over the weekend we had a lot of distractions. On Saturday we had our bi-annual garage sale at my daughter's house to raise funds for MS research. (In case you don't know, or forgot, my son-in-law was diagnosed with MS eight years ago.) After emptying out my dad's basement at his request, we were able to raise $700, which my son-in-law's employer will match. And we'll continue to take monetary donations through the last day of the month.

During the garage sale, I escaped with Jonah, my six-year-old grandson, for his first t-ball practice. What a blast! I sure hope Jonah's enthusiasm continues. That boy is built for sports, especially running.

In between all of the above, my son and daughter-in-law took possession of a three-bedroom apartment five minutes from our house, which we've been prepping and stocking for their arrival April 23. For example, today hubby and I lined all the kitchen cabinets.

And there's still much more to come in April: end-of-school concert; MS Walk; Cardinal baseball game with the boys' school; and a trip to NYC to help move my son and daughter-in-law. And, when possible, there's still shopping and prepping to do for our trip to Europe in May.

Crazy busy, but super happy to be up for it all!


1 comment:

Rita said...

Goodness sakes you are busy over there!! Yes, I did forget about your SIL having MS, but that's no surprise with how bad my memory is these days--LOL! Going to be so nice when the house is all done--wow! And it will be super to have your son and DIL close to you. Lots of stuff going on. :)