May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Another Update

Just noticed I haven't posted since October 13. So here's an update.

Last weekend hubby and I drove to northern Illinois for a long weekend with my sister and her family. On Saturday we saw the glass pumpkins at Morton Arboretum; had lunch in Gelena; walked through Fabyan Villa; and had dinner in Plainfield. Then on Sunday, before driving home, hubby and I stopped at a local pumpkin farm for hot apple cider donuts – yum!

It was a refreshing and fun getaway. And we're now considering another visit in December to enjoy several holiday events, including Chicago's Christmas Market. The only problem is, that far north, the temperatures will be freezing by then; and there's a good chance there will be snow on the ground. We need to give it more thought.

Before leaving for our weekend getaway, hubby and I went with my dad to his annual meeting with his financial advisor. A few weeks before that meeting we all met with dad's lawyer. Turns out dad's in great shape physically and financially for an 85-year-old. But he's still as cheap and block-headed as he's always been. Honestly I can only stand to be around dad for short periods of time, which is why hubby offered to join me at the recent meetings. He knows how difficult it is for me to deal with dad and how obstinate dad can be. Truth is dad hasn't changed. I've just become much less tolerant of his behavior.

I've also been doing a lot of yard work. We have a three-quarter acre wooded lot and, this time of year, the falling leaves keep us very busy. Might explain why I've been especially tired these days.

Well, those are the highlights. We're headed to a local pumpkin glow this evening, so I might have pictures to post tomorrow. It all depends on how well my camera takes night shots. Fingers crossed!


1 comment:

Rita said...

Yes, going up north in December could be freezing weather and snow and/or ice. Depends. Last year we had only the freezing weather most of the winter way up here and little or no snow. You just never know.

I do know, though, about dealing with stubborn parents. We know my mother cannot get up off the floor because it happened when she was staying with my brother in Minnesota and yet she insists on living alone in Florida and absolutely refuses to have a first alert necklace. She seems to never care if it would be a relief for her kids and grandkids. That it actually involves other people far-far away. (I do believe it is a combination of vanity and the monthly fee.) I have little patience for it, either. ;)