May 2018

May 2018

Monday, March 9, 2015

Going Old School

Both of my children are English majors who do a lot of reading. It makes me feel guilty that I don't. But truth is I've never been a big book reader. I always feel I have much more important things to do such as cleaning, exercising, cooking, working in the yard, or running errands. And these days, whenever I sit still, there's always something I want to watch on television either through cable or Roku.

I had hoped I would read more before falling asleep at night by using my iPad. But it's just way too easy to exit the Kindle app to check email or Facebook or YouTube. And then one thing leads to another and another book is left barely read. Clearly digital books aren't working for me.

So over the weekend, after reviewing the list of recommendations I received from BookBub the last few weeks, I decided I wasn't going to "take the bait" and download more free samples or, worse yet, spend another $1.99 on a digital book I'll never read. Instead, I searched for the recommended titles on the St. Louis County Library website.

After finding several titles, I signed up for a library card and requested several books. And then I noticed the DVD section. Low and behold I can get the last two seasons of The Closer, no longer free through Amazon Instant Video, through the library!

Yes, I know what you're thinking. The library's DVD section is going to be my downfall. And you might be right. I do love being able to watch TV while cross-stitching, flipping through a magazine, or surfing the web. I'm nothing if not a multi-tasker – LOL.

But, nevertheless, with good intentions today I picked up my library card and one of the books on my request list. My goal is to finish the book before the sixth season of The Closer is available. Wish me luck!



No comments: