May 2018

May 2018

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Divine Intervention

I've been going to the same hair stylist for over 20 years.  Judy knows my hair well, and what I like and don't like.  I'm not always thrilled with a new cut or style, but it's usually because I expect my hair to do things it simply can't.  The problem is my hair is super fine with no body of its own.

Recently I'd been so frustrated I started thinking about seeing a new stylist.  My hope was someone new would look at my hair and features and, magically, come up with the perfect stylish cut.  I'd even been thinking about getting a cut while in Paris.  But, deep down, I was too scared to really make a change, fearing someone else would cut my hair too short for my comfort.  And then came, what I feel, was a divine intervention.

Two weeks ago, I was ready for a trim and color treatment (to vanish the few gray hairs I'm now getting).  But that appointment had to be rescheduled for last week because Judy was down with a bad gall bladder.  Then last weekend I was told Judy would be out for at least another couple of weeks.  Poor thing has a terrible infection that needs to be dealt with before any surgery can be performed.

Because I'm now only three weeks away from our trip, I didn't want to put off a cut any longer.  I always like my hair better at least 3-4 days after a fresh cut.  And, if I kept my old style, I would need another trim just before leaving.  So I decided to take my chances with a new stylist.  At least another stylist at the same salon would have the dye formula for my hair that Judy perfected years ago.  As far as the cut, my intent was to keep the same style, just have the four-week growth trimmed.  But Jean had another idea.

While my color was setting, Jean pulled a couple of style books and strongly recommended a new stylish, and much shorter, cut.  At the time, I honestly don't know why I agree.  But I now feel it must have been a divine intervention.

I absolutely love my new hair!  It's short and extremely stylish.  Best of all, it dries quickly and takes seconds to style.  It will be fantastic for travel and the warmer weather ahead.  No personal pictures, yet, but it's like Michelle Williams' hair in this picture taken at the 2012 Oscars.

I hate that Judy is ailing and hope she's better soon.  But, for me, her leave of absence was just the push I needed.



No comments: