May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Eczema Attack

Today I decided it's time to see the dermatologist, again.  For 19 years, I've been fighting hand eczema, dry cracking and flaking patches on my fingers and thumbs.  I've tried numerous over-the-counter hand creams with no improvement.  So, about every 2-3 years, when I get tired of the daily pain and the need to wear multiple bandaids every day, I call the dermatologist.

I try to put off going to the doctor as long as possible.  The last time I got a prescription cream, it cost me over $100 despite the fact insurance covered a large percentage and the manufacturer offered a $25 coupon.  Fortunately, however, the prescription did help.  But, unfortunately, my last one expired over a year ago.

I should just move to the ocean.  The only complete cure I've found for an eczema attack is sea water.  It never fails.  After three days at the beach, my hands are completely healed.

For sure, I could easily become a snowbird.  Spending winter months in the sand, sun, and surf sounds like heaven to me.  Especially since they would be eczema-free months.


1 comment:

Rita said...

Have you ever tried a salt scrub since sea water works? Maybe that would help to massage in the salt scrub a couple times a day?

I never thought of that, myself. I suffer from dry cuticles that peel and bleed in the winter especially. I constantly am washing my hands, so they're dry all the time. I am going to try the salt scrub. I think I have some left. I'll have to go check. Thanks! :)