May 2018

May 2018

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Clean Bill of Health, For the Most Part

Today I had my yearly physical.  For the most part, it was all good news.  Of concern in the past was my glucose level, which had been inching up, but now it's fine.  Best of all, my total cholesterol is 177.

I've been taking 5mg of Crestor daily for years, which costs me $65 a month.  I'm now going to give Simvastatin a three-month trial, which would save me $600 a year if it works with no side effects.  Unfortunately, my liver can't tolerate the more popular statin, Lipitor, which now comes in a cheap generic version.

The only real concern was my slightly elevated blood pressure.  I'm hoping it was just last night's high sodium dinner.  I'm going to monitor it for a week and report back to the doc.  If it stays elevated, my daily dose of Lisinopril will be increased.  Whatever the outcome, I'm going to start reducing my salt intake, but don't plan to be fanatical about it just yet.

The worse news was it's time for my second colonoscopy.  The actual procedure is not the problem.  It's the flushing out of the system the day before that's literally a pain in the butt!  I'm just praying the results will indicate I don't need a third colonoscopy for another 10 years.

I also got both ears irrigated, which flushed out a pea size ball of wax from each ear.  I was hoping that would eliminate the buzzing in my ears, but no such luck.  Although, I do think it's deminished, so maybe it'll keep improving.

So, all-in-all, it was a good check-up and I don't need another one for a full year.  Yippee!


No comments: