May 2018

May 2018

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Three Levels of Exhaustion

Because I'm so mentally and emotionally exhausted today, I also have little physical energy.  It's all the result of yesterday's roller coaster ride of ups and downs.

Mom, who's in the advance stages of Alzheimer's Disease, was down with the flu most of last week. She started to improve over the weekend.  But, when I called yesterday morning, the nurse said mom had a fever, again, was still not eating or talking, and refused to get out of bed.  She was going to call hospice for help and a full evaluation.

And that's when the phone calls, text messages, and emails between hospice and family members began.  Eventually, my brother picked up dad to go visit mom, thinking dad would be too emotional to drive.  At the time, my brother and I both felt mom's days were numbered.

But then, around 3:00 P.M., the hospice nurse called with his evaluation.  He found nothing especially wrong with mom and felt she was just sleeping off the end of the flu.  All her vital signs were normal.  He wasn't even alarmed that mom hadn't eaten in a week, saying she's a "big woman with some reserve."

Honestly, at this point, I don't know who to believe.  For sure, I will be taking any future alarming calls with a grain of salt!

No comments: