May 2018

May 2018

Monday, January 9, 2012

Reworking the Budget

I'm at the Marriott Residence Inn while huge holes are being drilled into my basement floor.  Jim reports it's extremely loud and the whole house is shaking.  So, of course, I'm now concerned about the walls in my new bathrooms being jeopardized and knickknacks and dishes falling off shelves and hutches.  The cracked sewer pipe is back to being more of a nightmare instead of a weird dream.

We got a preliminary proposal from Sutter Plumbing this morning.  If we don't need pipes replaced under the garage or to the basement floor drain, it's roughly an $18,000 job with our cost slightly less than $5,000.  I was hoping not to exceed $5,000 out of pocket, so that part of the nightmare is looking promising.

Nevertheless, we didn't budget for a $5,000 home repair this month.  In fact, I foolishly had thought we were on top of all home maintenance with no big expenses in the near future.  But, before last Thursday, I had never heard of sewer pipes under a house needing to be replaced.  So, back goes a previously removed entry to our budget -- Emergency Home Repair.

No comments: