May 2018

May 2018

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Purchase Toner or Buy New Printer?

Nearly a year ago, I purchased the Brother HL-3070W Digital Color Printer.  I love it!  It's fast and the color is amazing.  I especially enjoy using it to take advantage of free online paper craft projects.  It's a fun toy.

I paid $293.98 for the printer.  Today I went to Office Max to replace the four toner cartridges.  With tax, my bill was roughly $305!  The starter cartridges lasted nearly a year and supposedly produced 1000 pages.  The replacement cartridges should produce 1500.  Nevertheless, it doesn't take a genius to see it would be cheaper to just purchase a new printer, especially since the current price on Amazon is $204.99!

But, if I buy a new printer, what do I do with the old one?  I can take toner cartridges to Office Max for recycling, but what happens to old printers?  I suppose I could donate it, but then some charity would have to pay $300+ for toner!

For sure it's a dilemma and one I have to resolve soon.  I need to print the company bank statement so I can close out the month of March.  I long ago elected for online statements as a step toward going "green."  It looks like it's one step forward and two steps back!

No comments: